I absolutely LOVE the flavour & aroma of lemongrass. It's so refreshing & light & it takes me back to a trip made to Vietnam many moons ago. DoTERRA lemongrass essential oil can be diluted & applied topically as an insect repellent or as a massage oil to relieve sore muscles. It can be diffused to create a bright, zingy pick me up or inhaled to chase away feelings of negativity or nervousness. And not only is it great for flavouring but when ingested lemongrass assists with digestion.
This Vietnamese recipe has been on high rotation in our household for years so I was really excited to try it out using lemongrass essential oil. One stick of lemongrass costs about $3 in Supermarkets at the moment & I would normally use 2 sticks in this recipe. One bottle of doTERRA lemongrass oil contains 250 drops & costs $13 with a wholesale membership....so basically with the money saved on buying lemongrass I can book a trip back to Vietnam.....or at least head out to a Vietnamese restaurant!
LEMONGRASS CHILLI CHICKEN
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tsp coconut sugar
500g chicken thigh cut into bite size pieces
1 tbs coconut oil
4-5 drops of doTERRA lemongrass oil
2 garlic cloves crushed
1-2 Birdseye chillies thinly sliced
150 mls coconut water
1 red onion cut into thin wedges
1/2 red capsicum cut into strips
1/2 yellow capsicum cut into strips
A handful of snowpeas
2 spring onions thinly sliced
Coriander leaves to serve
- Combine the fish sauce sugar & 1/2tsp each of salt & pepper & stir to dissolve. Add the chicken & marinate for 30 mins in the fridge.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large wok over medium heat. Add the chilli & garlic & stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the chicken & marinade & stir fry for around 10 mins.
- Add the lemongrass oil, stir to combine, then add the coconut water & bring to the boil.
- Add the onion, reducethe heat & simmer for another 5 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the capsicum & snow peas (you could use any veg you like) & stir fry until warmed through but still lovely & crunchy.
- Serve with steamed brown rice & garnish with spring onion & coriander.
Makes enough for 2 generous serves.